All this week, we will be testing for i18n features in Fedora 26. Those are as follows:
- Fontconfig Cache – The fontconfig cache files are placed onto /var/cache/fontconfig now. this seems incompatible with the ostree model. so this is a proposal to move it to /usr/lib/fontconfig/cache.
- Libpinyin 2.0 – Now libpinyin provides 1-3 sentence candidates instead of one sentence candidate, which will greatly improve the guessed sentence correction rate.
- Emoji typing – In the computing world, it’s rare to have person not know about emoji. Before, it was difficult to type emoji in Fedora. Now, we have an emoji typing feature in Fedora 26.
- Unicode 9.0 – With each release, Unicode introduces new characters and scripts to its encoding standard. We have a good number of additions in Unicode 9.0. Important libraries are updated to get the new additions into Fedora.
- IBus typing booster Multilingual support – IBus typing booster started providing multilingual support (typing more than one language using single IME – no need to switch).
Other than this, we also need to make sure all other languages works well specifically input, output, storage and printing.
How to participate
Though it is a test day, we normally keep it on for the whole week. If you don’t have time tomorrow, feel free to complete it in the coming few days and upload your test results.
Let’s test and make sure this works well for our users!